[This is the text of a letter from the IRS to Prison Officials, revised 4/1/21]
Dear Prison Official:
We are writing to update you about the Economic Impact Payments (EIPs) to incarcerated persons under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, Pub. L. No. 116-136, 134 Stat. 281 (March 27, 2020). The purpose of this notification is to advise you of the steps that should be taken to submit information to the IRS if the incarcerated person receives a 4883C, 5071C, 6330C or 6331C letter. These letters are sent to verify identity before we process the income tax return or issue a refund.
Procedures if a 4883C, 5071C, 6330C or 6331C letter is received
- Send an email to email@example.com using the literal “TPP EIP” in the subject line. Contact information is for Prison Officials use only.
- Complete the enclosed template which includes.
- Incarcerated Persons Name
- Control Number on the letter received
- Adjusted Gross Income Amount -1040 Line 8b
- Refund Amount – 1040 Line 21a
- Name, Title, and Email of the Requesting Official
- Name of Facility
Please ensure all your facilities receive a copy of this email. Thank you for your support.
Internal Revenue Service